Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Mother's Ambition

Every once in a while, someone does something so brave that it makes you stop and admire. People like this make you remember that there are no limitations. Some people are worth following in their footsteps.

My mother has had an amazing journey. A few months ago, she agreed to read through a collection of books on being the parent of an LGBT child. I had a friend who could use her wisdom and insight when dealing with his own parents. My mother wanted to help somehow.

While at Barnes and Nobles, she had to special order one of the books. While telling the agent at the counter what book she wanted, the lady leaned over and whispered "I know how you feel."

My mother asked what she meant. The lady told her that she had not spoken to her gay son in some time. She had always regretted the things that they had gone through. My mother shared her story with her. "Your son hasn't changed, just your perception of him. Think about it, he's gone through so much. He could really use you right now. What else are parents for?"

After an hour of sharing, the lady was in tears. She wanted to reconnect with her son and make up for all that lost time. I think my mother not only changed someone else's life, but also her own.

She decided to go back to school. She says she wants to make a difference. It's been tough, as she's currently taking Math, but I know she'll persevere. She's decided to alter her entire life by going to college. That's something that takes an immense amount of courage and dedication.





She shared this video with me. Life has not always been kind to her, but she has shown a lot of courage in the face of adversity.

This is for you, moms.

1 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog this evening. You have quite a talent for writing. Much of the content was informative, and it talks greatly of your character and desire to make this a better place.

Two posts caught my eye in particular... the first was the chalkboard dreamer, for I too seem to work most of my life out in dreams and prayer. Maybe for me it is an overactive desire to solve problems... or perhaps it is simply an occupational hazzard. But it has been a blessing to me of late.

The second that intrigues me is this one. Very well written, and it shows vividly your affection and appreciation for your Mother.

I would have to agree, she sounds like an extradinary person, and it reflects well in your desire to help others.

If you see this... Keep dreaming the big dreams!

Take care of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home