Friday, March 16, 2007

Madison Politics, April 2007 Race

Normally, I don't like to get too involved in politics. For Madison, this is doubly so. Politics are weird, way too serious, and often humorous in that really-scary-sort-of-way.

I almost always vote absentee, even though I don't travel. I dislike having to research a ballot the day that I have to vote, then having to make a decision based on limited information. Inevitably, there's someone on the ballot that I don't even know. I'm scared that I'm voting for some crazy conservative, an unpredictable liberal, or (God-Forbid) someone from my own party... the dreaded Libertarian.

So, here I sit with my ballot in front of me thinking about the future of my community. I want to make a good decision without spending too much time. Typical American mind-set... except I have that added 'do the right thing' mentality. Regardless, I honestly don't know who I'd like to vote for. The races seem so dramatic for the candidates that we have. Especially given the Lauren Woods/Eli Judge race. Woods really needs to reel her lackeys in, because I've heard people from her corner saying some fairly racist things. I'm tired of Madison politics coming down to "oh, she/he is a person of color, so each issue revolves around race." I hate it when people abuse the race card to suggest ludicrous statements or empty solutions. I'd rather have my race card saved for issues that are a little more important.

Specifically, I'm referring to some of the recent publications in the Daily Cardinal. Kumar, a very minor political player in Madison, made the assertion that a policy change made by the Democratic party in Madison was keeping people of color votes from counting. *Ahem* Alright, so first, thank you for speaking for me, Kumar, as the head person of color. You might not have meant it that way, but it's certainly how it came across, not only to me, but to quite a few people in Madison. Secondly, you just pointed out that your candidate isn't even keeping track of the political changes that are going on during her own campaign! I'm not sure that was the best move, either for people of color or your personal alliance with Lauren Woods and Ald. Austin King.

Critical Badger has a great article on this. The guy has amazing insight into the eccentricities of the major players in Madison.

Oh, and Ald. King, I'm glad you were there to tell me who a "real Democrat" was at the Democratic party meeting by putting down other politicians in your own party. You're the champion of all people who can't think for themselves. For a while, I actually bought into your campaign. I'm having serious second thoughts.

Lauren, it's become apparent that you had no idea what you were getting yourself into by allying yourself with Kumar and King. I think you'd make a great candidate one day... but not given the current situation. Sorry.

On to one of the bigger moments in Wisconsin politics, the supreme court position between Clifford and Ziegler.

My vote is definitely going to Linda Clifford for Supreme Court Justice. Hands down. Good record, I think we can trust her neutrality, plus she opened a gay hockey game, nearly killing herself on the ice to do it. Nice touch, I admire a person who can handle her/himself while 'walking on thin ice.' I like a justice who's in touch with the community. It shows the good, open-minded quality that's required for true neutrality and legal interpretation.

Alright, now on to the mayoral race. I think we all know who is going to win, which is a bit sad. I've been pondering the opposition, Allen. He gives the appearance of having experience and has a well-thought-through position on a lot of current issues. Most of these positions are city-focused, logical, and almost-reasonable. I was shocked... certainly this can't be happening in Madison!

So, I looked for the same issues on Dave's site. Lots of fluff, wishy-washy answers to real questions. Suddenly, I got to thinking... what has mayor Dave actually done during his term? Crime is rising and Madison either needs new leadership or a scapegoat. I'm running dangerously close to throwing your vote the other way.

Only problem is that Allen voted down a proposition for domestic partner benefits in the Madison school board. I tried to look up his stance on that decision. Nothing. I tried to look up his stance for civil rights. Nothing on LGBT issues.

I'm on the fence. Maybe one of the candidates will email me back with information on, not only their positions, but reasoning behind their positions.

Dear lord, reasoning in politics. Shun the day.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would encourage you to vote for Judge. He's a lot smarter on policy and a really nice guy.

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to be ridiculous and tell you who to vote for anonymously on a blog response, I'll simply say this: Nice post. Well thought out and all too true.

Good luck in your making your decision, I wish more people put as much thought into this as you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home