Monday, May 29, 2006

I sometimes wonder if that's what it was like before we had civilization, when we were barely more than monkeys, yet we understood what mortality was and that we are transient creatures.

Would two individuals meet in a huge, scary world that went far beyond their ability to comprehend... wandering through life as one would stumble through a dark cavern? Would these individuals then hold hands and suddenly understand that we do not have to brave this world alone? Although we cannot hope to solve the existential dilemma, at least one person would wander in the dark with us.

I hear people ask, 'Is my companion attractive? How socially acceptable will it be for me to hold this person's hand? Will other people think less of me if I love this individual? If I dated someone of greater beauty, would I be worth more?'

I wander through life, and though told I have the light of reason, I understand that we are still in that same dark cave. Of what importance are these questions... for, in the end, we have little sight. I shall love my partner for his or her voice. I shall love my partner for the light he brings into my life. For, in essence, I am blind. Why should one let that which you cannot see keep you from that which brings you joy... especially when this joyous thing has been holding your hand all along?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home