Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Metrosexual.

It's an interesting word, and I must admit that I've never really known its definition. I know what it means, but that's something completely different.

I keep wondering what identity 'metrosexual' is based off. It's so nebulous. However, there are a few hints about The Metrosexual's identifying traits which may help us pin down a definition.

1. The Metrosexual is not gay.

I'm not sure why this is important, but it seems as though The Homosexual gets his own grouping. This is rather interesting, as it either says something about the assumptions we have about homosexuals

-or-

the metrosexual identity is actually based off of homosexual identity itself.

2. The Metrosexual is well spoken and usually very educated.

This is also usually coupled with liberal beliefs and, if not an open mind, then trying to seem like they are exposed to things-that-make-them-cool.

3. The Metrosexual is always in touch with the latest trends and fashion.

They will go to great lengths to look well-dressed and spend great resources on the same things-that-make-them-look-cool.

4. The Metrosexual has a softer side.

A major identifying factor, for me, if that metrosexuals never seem to have a need to establish their macho superiority over other people... unless it's about being the most fashionable or best dressed. Old gender norms seem to be more flexible for them, sometimes more so than compared to their homosexual brethren.

5. And yet, The Metrosexual is never a woman.


Official 'The Metrosexual' Logo


I see a trend here. Dress me in pink if I'm wrong...

Throughout history, those with privilege have had the greatest freedom in breaking gender norms. Being in a higher class than those around you allows you to take on feminine traits while not seeming weak. It's almost saying, "I have so much privilege, I don't even have to use my macho power to prove my superiority."

Metrosexual seems to be about class... and the stereotype that straight men are dirty while gay men are dapper and neat!

Don't get me wrong, The Metrosexual is usually a great ally for equal rights and an excellent individual at the same time, but I've always gotten that sense of careless displays of privilege from 'self-proclaimed' metrosexuals.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I guess you'll know if you ever see me in pink...

<like I'd be caught dead in pink, anyway>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home