Monday, August 29, 2005

Libertarians

Why is it that all Libertarians are foaming at the mouth crazies?

First, I have to say that I am a Libertarian. I uphold the political ideals of Social Justice, Equality, Peace, and Simple Government. Yet, it would be politically irresponsible for me to vote for any Libertarian candidate.

Tragic, I say. Absolutely tragic.

Well, not all is lost. One still has to admire third parties, as they're much more influential than you'd expect. Political cohesiveness is terribly important in a state like Wisconsin, where a few votes can swing the color of the state. However, in my native state of Texas, the color isn't likely to change anytime soon.

This does not mean that you can't influence the politics of the dominant party. Being a libertarian, besides eventually making you hear voices in your head, sends a message to party leaders. This message helps to shift party lines, eventually.

This sort of system can work very well, especially in a multi-party system where representation is by percentage vote and not by political majority. It doesn't make sense to have 100% of political influence go to a party that has 51% support. A system like this tends to simplify causes and create a lot tension between people who should be dedicated towards making our society better... not fighting eachother.

Why not have 51% of the political power go towards the party that got 51% support?

Not that you have to agree with me on this obvious choice, of course. The beauty of democracy is within the expression of different beliefs and ideas... which means you're not allowed to beat me up next time you see me for being Libertarian. Right?

... right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home