Wednesday, September 07, 2005

New Orleans lay in ruins, while so many people go wanting. Looting and violence continue... times are hard. What is it that makes a tragedy in New Orleans unlike a tragedy anywhere else in the US?

A fellow leader once turned to me and mentioned that no true leadership has emerged to face the hard times brought on by wind and rain. I have this romantic image of humanity standing before a storm, enduring hardship. We are amazing in our form and association... yet all of that has been abandoned for looting and quick acquisition. Why forsake civility so soon?

Honestly, I think it's the long years of unending oppression thick in the Louisiana air. New Orleans has always been a symbol of poverty and hopelessness to me. The people of the area know they don't have an influence over their environment. Life is hard, and one has to face hardship alone in the end. This oppression can make one too weak to stand up against adversity, which is what happened in New Orleans. Living in the murder capital of the world can make you guarded after a fashion, and distrust of the person next to you makes it hard to be a citizen.

New Orleans has reminded me that lack of compassion kills. Should disaster strike me and those around me, I would like to think that I would not abide people to suffer. This need and faith that humanity deserves better lays at the foundation of civilization and leadership.

So, I ask you:

What are you doing to make your world better today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home