Monday, December 05, 2005

So, previously, I stated my belief that there is no difference between men and women.

Now, I'm beginning to feel the same way about race and culture.

I've been told that I speak like a white person... which has baffled me to no end. I simply can't delineate the factors which create "white speech pattern." However, people seem to be able to tell the difference. I just think that it indicates that I've had more schooling than I care to mention... or perhaps it's "white" to be educated?

Furthermore, what does it mean to "lose your culture?" I first heard this term in my Mayan Civilization textbook, which I took to Mexico with me while visiting Palenque. The textbook claimed that the Mayan civilization was ruined after years of war and that the inhabitants lost their culture. However, when I visited them, they seemed to have a culture. It wasn't the same as it was centuries ago, but all things change with time. The Mayan cultures live on in new forms that reflect the rich history of the indigenous population.

Even more confusing is when I hear someone say that a person, rather than a civilization, has lost their culture. Mostly, I hear this from other people of color. Sometimes, people feel that I fit this category, othertimes people say I don't. However, I can't fathom what they mean. It's obviously different than the term used in my textbook.

Saying that another has 'lost their culture' seems to suggest that there was a specific way this person should have had to begin with. What would this look like: The ideal Native American. The epitome of Black Woman. The true form of Hispanic Man. What would it mean to "have" your culture? Is this definition based solely on how 'not-white' I am? Then, how does one define 'white?' Is it how well educated you are, as insinuated above, or simply the fluctuation of melanin in your skin?


The racial divide

It starts to become very complex after a very short time. Once again, we seem to try and justify an archaic term with new concepts. It would be so much easier to phase the old language out.

Now, I must follow this with an important statement. Though race may be completely a social construction, discrimination and prejudice remain very real problems. It's far too common to associate certain traits with negative stereotypes. There is far too much variation to ever believe that you can judge someone based on one or two characteristics. Stereotyping this way only indicates that you haven't seen enough of the world.

So, it might take me a while to figure out who I am, now... though who I am hasn't changed. I'm still proud of my family and my heritage, but I refuse to fight over how "white" or "not-white" I am anymore. It's just not justifiable or worth it.

I have better things to fight over, heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home